So my brother surprised me this year with a huge bag of protein powder. I was too distracted to take the subtle hint that the gym was to be taken more seriously, because I was so anxious about all I could do with protein powder when it comes to my baking.
Since I’m so confident with my muffins, I thought I’d use them as a crutch to begin with. I’m loving how they turned out and I can’t wait to add to my list of protein recipes in the near future. Rewarding myself with these bad boys might just make working out a little bit easier. 😉
- 1 tblspoon chia seeds
- 3 free range eggs
- 2 tblspoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tblspoons honey
- A scoop of protein powder (I used strawberry flavoured powder by the MyProtein brand)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup coconut/almond milk
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups plain flour/quinoa flour
- ¼ cup organic cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
I aim to delve further into the benefits of my protein snacks in the next while as I’m going to be giving them a lot more attention soon, due to my fitness goals and with heading back to the college diet! 😃
To give a quick rundown on these, however, they contain fibre, iron, antioxidants…they’re certainly a healthy alternative to chocolate chip muffins, the chia seeds are omega-3 rich and they don’t even need to be kept for after a gym session, they’d be perfect to offer up to visitors when they come around. (I got the approval from a critical bunch of friends 😉).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine chia seeds, eggs, coconut oil, honey, coconut sugar, coconut/almond milk and vanilla into an electric mixer (if possible) and mix until mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour, protein powder, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt to the processor and mix well.
- Divide batter among (recommended but not imperative) silicone muffin cups, and sprinkle with half of the remaining bee pollen. Bake for 23 minutes approx., or until a skewer inserted in the centre does a clean pierce through the body of the muffin.
- You can garnish the muffins with a sprinkle of coconut flour or bee pollen and a sprinkle of coconut sugar. Dipping the head of the muffin into some Greek style yoghurt is super tasty also. 😃🍴