When we think of delicious desserts, we often tend to think of the most caramely, chocolaty, sugary, fatty, heart-health-compromising whopper of a dessert plate.
After trying sorbet for the first time, however, thinking back on the above makes me feel really really naïve.
Hands up if you knew that blended frozen banana has almost an identical texture to ice-cream, while still having an unreal taste…I know I didn’t realise that until I’d tried making sorbet for the first time.
- Menthol, and active oil in mint, is responsible for mint’s antiseptic properties and antibacterial properties which make mint a good choice for relieving digestion. Mint also fortifies the nervous system and helps to relieve headaches.
- Blueberries help to slow the growth of prostate cancer and improve eyesight and memory. They also promote prostate health and protect eye health.
- Bananas help strengthen bones, protect against ulcers, contain slow-release sugars and lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Strawberries help prevent blood vessel damage, sooth stomach upsets and contain anti-cancer substances.
All nutritional info was taken from Neal’s Yard Healing Foods, a brilliant DK publication.
All you gotta do to make this is:
- Chop up approx. 1.5 large bananas and freeze them overnight.
- With a high powered blender, pulse from frozen with a handful of strawberries or a handful of blueberries (mix it up a bit).
- Add in about a tblspoon of fresh mint and pulse some more.
- Using an ice cream scoop, serve nicely in a dish.
- Make sure to consume soon after serving as the sorbet does soften pretty quickly.
With all those benefits, and being purely plant based, you won’t believe yourself after trying this one!
Happy healthy eating,